There is no need to sacrifice aesthetics at the altar of academia. Though scholarly works are often dense and footnote-heavy they can—and should—be appealing and easily readable.
Typeface historian and critic Beatrice Warde offers an apt metaphor of well-designed, well-typeset text and a crystal goblet filled with a fine drink. The clear crystal goblet does not draw attention to itself; it is all but invisible. Such is the case with typesetting: a well-typeset book does not draw attention to the typesetting, rather it renders the text crystal clear. The focus always remains on the accessibility of the text. If it is difficult to read or printed in an inappropriately bold typeface, it will draw attention to itself and detract from its true purpose, the conveyance of the author’s ideas.
For specialized works, particularly those with transliteration, we now have access to a variety of readable typefaces that have a full range of diacritical marks. Diacritics are no longer jarring additions to the text; they are an integrated part of the typeface. Difficult academic works with complex footnotes do not need to appear monotonous; with the most advanced typesetting programs, we are able control every detail of the text and produce stunning results that make your book a joy to read.
There are clear differences between formatting a Word document and typesetting a book, for a clear and concise understanding of these differences, please see the samples page.
Typesetting and Book design
- International Journal of Middle Eastern Studies: One page transliteration chart. link
- Journal of Islamic Philosophy (from 2003–2015). pdf
- The Marvels of the Heart (including text, tables, illustration, and index). pdf
- The Removal of Confusion (see text sample). pdf
- Tafsīr al-Tustarī [Sahl al-Tustarī’s Commentary on the Qurʾān] (complete text). pdf
- Lat’if al-Isharāt (Tafsīr al-Qushayri) [Abu l-Qasim al-Qushayri’s commentary on the Qur’an] pdf
- Rabbana: Supplications from the Holy Quran.
- In the Presence of the sublime Qur’an.
- Foundations of Arabic Grammar.
- Al-Ghazali’s Book of Knowledge. (Book 1)
- Al-Ghazali’s Principles of the Creed. (Book 2)
- Al-Ghazali’s: The Mysteries of Purity (Book 3)
- Al-Ghazali’s: The Mysteries of Prayer (Book 4)
- Al-Ghazali’s: The Mysteries of Charity & the Mysteries of Fasting (Books 5&6)
- Al-Ghazali’s: The Mysteries of Hajj (Book 7)
- History of Hadith Compilation
- The Elements of Islamic Metaphysics
- Annual Conference Proceedings of the Islamic College
- Liberated Soul: In Memory of Sayyid Hāshim Ḥaddād
- A Compendium of the Sources on the Prophetic Narrative in two large sized volumes.
- Arabic Morphology Made Simple
- Arabic Morphology an introduction
- Understanding Islamic Sciences
- Principles of Islamic Jurisprudence
English with Arabic intermixed into the text:
- Mapping Frontiers Across Medieval Islam. link
- Symbols of Authority in Medieval Islam.
- Where the Two Seas Meet. Qur’anic text only.
- Spiritual Gems. pdf
- Book of Ascension. pdf
- Gatherings of Illumination. Extensive Arabic text throughout.
- Reassurance for the Seeker. Arabic text of Hadith.
- Lat’if al-Isharāt (Tafsīr al-Qushayri) [Abu l-Qasim al-Qushayri’s commentary on the Qur’an] (Quranic Text of individual verses) pdf
- Al-Ghazali’s Principles of the Creed. (Arabic text of the Creed / Side by Side with the English translation)
- In the Presence of the sublime Qur’an, Sura 1 and 78-114. (Quranic Text, and individual verses)
Children’s and Young Adult books:
- Drummer Girl, by Hiba Masood; Text and layout.
- Al-Ghazali, (Art by Demi); Text only.
- Sophia’s Journal by Najiyah Maxfield; Text and layout. (YA)
- An Acquaintance by Saba Syed; Text and layout. (YA)
- Pieces by Afshan Malik (YA)
- Journal of Islamic Philosophy
- Brewing Storms
- Desire of the Aspirant
- Foundations of Arabic Grammar
- History of Hadith Compilation by Muhammad Ali Mahdavirad
- The Elements of Islamic Metaphysics by Muḥammad Ḥusayn Ṭabāṭabāʾī
- A Textbook on the Methods of Qur’anic Exgesis, Mohammad Ali Reza’i Isfahani
- E-Learning and Islamic Studies. Conference Proceedings
- Annual Conference Proceedings of the Islamic College (Series)